Monday, July 12, 2004

Online Dating Analysis

The Expectations of Participants in Online Dating

About one-third of the spam I receive asks me if I want to meet my soul mate. This always strikes me as odd because I already met him, and we are married.

I am not the target adience for the spam, yet I get it just the same. Some of it is for Yahoo Personals, so out of curiosity, I have checked it out.

On the "Yahoo Personals" form, I entered my zip code, and my "desired age range 45-60". Unbelievably, there were 1,000 hits. I scanned them. All the men that I checked out were looking for a woman with a "slim", trim, "fit" build. When it came to educational level, hobbies, religion, political preference, they put down "don't care".

Then I did the reverse look. I looked for women in my zip code with the same desired age range. Most of the women I checked out (about 70%) described themselves as "rubenesque", "full figure", "well endowed", a "lot of woman". There were a few that were "trim" and I saw "petite", and I surmise theses trim ladies are really popular and really busy dating.

So there you have it -- 1000 lonely men and 1000 lonely women. If only the men could let go of size there could be 2000 very happy people.

-------

I read my blog entry to my husband, and he said, simply, "size matters".

No comments: